Day 4: Monday 10 May – The Beating Heart of Ghana

The heat of the morning enveloped us with a sticky blanket of tropical humidity and I for one, woke up with a heady cocktail of jetlag, sleepiness and heat exhaustion! Manitu and Obi, brought up in the heat of Brazil and Nigeria respectively, just looked upon me with humour and puzzlement as I struggled to adjust to the heat of Ghana. Luckily, Nana had prepared us an enormous breakfast with seasonal fruits and omelette and all kinds of sumptuous dishes that quickly transformed our low-sugar world of dysfunction into a world of deep satisfaction. How different the world looks on an egg!

By the time we had moved some of the furniture around (breaking at least one of the heavy wooden beds in the process) and arranged the house in preparation for the seminar, it was time to leave for Winneba for the first follow-up programme of the tour in the village of Sankor. Nana accompanied us to the bus station in central Accra and helped us to find a bus to Winneba in what was a hot bustling bus park teaming with multitudes of people bound in all directions.

Trundling along past lush green palm trees, rolling coastal hills and banana plantations, stopping at each village and junction, it took a couple of hours to reach Winneba, where we had arranged to meet Jacob, the son of the Chief of Sankor. We were over-joyed to see each other again and greeted each other with the special Ghana handshake, which involves a normal shake, a jive in the hand position and then a mutual finger click. It was about 4pm by then, so we were starving.

Jacob took us to a nearby restaurant and told us how they had been meditating regularly as a community and how things had changed there as a result. Some people had stopped drinking altogether and people who had been a big problem in the community had settled down and either become much more positive or left. People also felt much more protected and had a deep respect for Shri Mataji. Many people had pictures of Shri Mataji in their houses and had placed it in a frame on a simple altar.

By 6pm we had arrived at the chief’s ‘palace’ (the community meeting room) and the room was beginning to fill with around 35-40 people. The chief was delighted to see us again and this time took a more prominent role in the meeting. He explained that many of the people in the meeting were coming for the first time, as he wanted more people to have the chance of experiencing Sahaja Yoga and also partly because many of the people who had received realisation last time had been blessed with good fortune and had moved on. It also seemed that the black magic problem (ever-present it seems in Western Africa, but not so much in Ghana) was much less than before and that people were less attacked.

The chief was deeply affected when we told him that Shri Mataji had been very pleased with the programmes in Sankor, that Her attention was very much with them and that She had been enjoying looking through photographs of them only a couple of days before. The meditation itself was very deep and heartfelt, and we promised that we would return to Sankor on the last Sunday of the tour. Up to six people said that they would like to come to the national seminar and deepen their understanding of Sahaja Yoga. It was with enormous joy that the chief announced that he would also be coming with Jacob and his second son Ernest.

With one programme we felt that we had never left and had become once again connected to the beating heart of Ghana.

< Back to Page.3

On to Page.5  >


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: